Ways to Teach Your Little Ones About New Year Resolutions
We hope you had a wonderful holiday season! Whether you like it or not, the holidays are over and a new year is here again. 'New Year, New Me' is a big theme this time of year and it's a fun way to teach your young ones about goals, resolutions and more! We've compiled a few tips that should make this a fun activity to do together.
First, you should explain the new year, what goals are and also what resolutions are. This is a great article if you need help explaining!
Next, you should share a few of your goals and resolutions with your child. Try to keep these positive and uplifting and explain how you think these will help you and your family have a better year.
Then, use the SMART system to help your child form their goals. Offer a few suggestions and be sure to listen to what they would like to accomplish this year.
A few goals we love are:
- Learn a new skill in dance, gymnastics, singing, piano or whatever extracurricular activity they are currently enrolled in.
- Keep their room clean without asking for a month straight.
- Learn a new skill (reading, writing, checkers, chess, etc!)
- Cook dinner with Mom or Dad one night.
- Donate an unused toy to charity twice a month.
- Eat more fruits and veggies.
These are just starters! Use these as a base to build the perfect goal complete with a timeline and reward that will be sure to be accomplished. We also love this printable sheet perfect for setting goals in 2018!